Translate

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Prep, Prep, Prep!!!


During the week I wake up at 5:45, I have to be at work by 7 am and I leave at 4:30 pm. On Wednesdays and Fridays I have to be at work by 6:30 and I stay till 6 pm. Needless to say my work week is pretty hectic and tiring. I don't have much time to go grocery shopping, or prep food during the week, since I like to relax when I get off work and do yoga or other fun stuff. On Sunday I prep my food for the week, which is easy, and saves me so much time during the week. I can spend my week, doing stuff that I enjoy and relaxing after a hard day teaching. The following is a list of things that I do to prep, for the week and make my life so much easier. Eating healthy is easy when you are prepared!!


  1. If you have too many ripe bananas,freeze them!! Cut them in half and place them in a large freezer safe container! Use parchment paper to separate the layers so that you do not have large bananas stuck together. If you do not have a large container, just leave them in the peel, and freeze them! Take them out 10 minutes before you are going to make your smoothie so they can defrost a bit, run them under hot water, and the peel comes off easy!! You can never have enough bananas on hand! 
  2. Soak your dates, so they blend easy in smoothies!! Finding fresh dates, is hard for me! The ones I do find are over $10 a pound and that is not very practical for eating on a budget. I buy deglet dates, I pit them and soak them in distilled water, so they are easy to blend when I need to use them! If I do not soak them my blender leaves chunks of dates, and the smoothie does not turn out creamy or frothy. I bought a pack of jars, a while ago, and use them for all of my smoothie storage needs. When you are about to make your smoothie, simply empty the entire jar (water included) and add whatever other ingredients you like. 
  3. Wash your fruit!! I cannot stress this more, when I buy a bag of apples, I take them all out and soak them in cold water for 1 minute to wash them. I do this with all of my fruits & veggies so that when I need them they are ready to go!! Make sure your fridge is clean, so that your fruit and veggies do not get bacteria while they are in the fridge. I use paper towels at the bottom of drawers and switch them out when I need to so they are clean and fresh. 
  4. Cut any fruit you need for lunch beforehand. I cut cantaloupe and pineapple and leave in BPA free containers for lunch. I also cut mandarins and any other fruit, I have so that they are ready to go for lunch. 


  5. Prep salads two days ahead of time. Dressing at the bottom of the container, 2 tablespoons is a healthy amount if your dressing has oil. Hard crunchy veggies above the dressing, put enough so that the dressing is covered and does not ruin the lettuce. Now put nuts and any other add-ins. Lastly put in the greens! I love romaine and green lettuce personally. Do not over fill the container so that you can shake it and spread the dressing easily at work!! (seriously hold the lid tight, and shake!! this will spread the veggies and dressing very well) 

  6. If the weather is warm then prep a high carb soup! Potatoes, Rice, bouillon cubes, veggies! I have a recipe on this blog you can follow. Quick easy dinner!! 
  7. Keep organic Juice in stock!! You can add too smoothies or drink for a quick fructose lift!! If you don't have enough time to eat an apple, or peel an orange, just take some fruit juice with you. 



No comments:

Post a Comment