Translate

Saturday, September 20, 2014

Vegan "Caldo" (carb rich)




So when the weather is starting to get cold, and my allergies start to kick in, a good hearty Caldo was usually my first choice soup! Now that I am Vegan I still crave Caldo, and its delicious broth and veggies. Today I decided to experiment and try to make a vegan Caldo, that I could add white rice too and still was just as hearty and even more healing (no meat = easy digestion). Traditional Caldo has a chicken broth, with chicken, cabbage, carrots, and other various vegetables, with a side of rice you can add to soup. Here is my version! It is so delicious and instead of meat, I added red lentils (you can sub for extra firm tofu) Hope you enjoy!!

Ingredients:
Broth
8 Cups of Distilled Water
11/2 tablespoon of Garlic powder, Cumin, Chili powder, dried parsley, chives
4 not chick'n bouillon cubes
Soup
4 potatoes (cut into small bite sized chunks)
1/2 a head of cabbage (cut into 4 inch pieces)
1 cup of carrots (diced or cut small)
2 cups of broccoli (diced or kept normal)
1/2 a cup of onion diced
1 cup of frozen peas
2 corn on the cobs cut into chunks or 1 cup of corn
1 cup of red lentils (sub tofu, add last 15 minutes of cooking)
1 cup of diced mushroom

Directions:
Bring Broth ingredients to boil, then add soup ingredients. Bring soup to rolling boil, then reduce to simmer, cover pot and cook for 30 minutes.

While soup is cooking, cook rice in small quart sauce pan. I cook 1 cup of rice with 1 3/4 cup of water, until done (20 minutes) Add rice to soup once it is done



No comments:

Post a Comment